Monday, June 11, 2012

IN MEMORY OF LANGSTON HUGHES

IN MEMORY OF LANGSTON HUGHES

Negro Speaks of Rivers
I've known rivers:
I've known rivers ancient as the world and older than the flow of human blood in human veins

My soul has grown deep like the rivers.

I bathed in the Euphrates when dawns were young
I built my hut near the Congo and it lulled me to sleep.
I looked upon the Nile and raised the pyramids above it.
I heard the singing of the Mississippi when Abe Lincoln went down to New Orleans, and I've seen its muddy bosom turn all golden in the sunset

I've known rivers:
Ancient, dusky rivers.

My soul has grown deep like the rivers.

Langston Hughes


James Mercer Langston Hughes (February 1, 1902 – May 22, 1967) was an American poet, social activist, novelist, playwright, and columnist.  He was one of the earliest innovators of the then-new literary art form jazz poetry.  Hughes is best known for his work during the Harlem Renaissance.

He is one of my favorite poets.  You may note the use of the word “negro” by Hughes that was, during his lifetime, the socially acceptable term for African Americans.  I hope you will read many of his poems, all of which are available at:

You will not regret it.
Ralph B. Strickland, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment