Thursday, April 26, 2012

OCDETF Plaque


I was presented this plaque from the federal drug conference, “Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force” (or OCDETF), managed by the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of North Carolina in Raleigh, North Carolina, on November 16, 2011.

I hope that you will excuse my lack of humility on this one occasion.  As most of you know, I have fully retired from all legal positions and my law license has been suspended and placed in a disability status by the North Carolina State Bar at my request and after a short investigation due to my PTSD from Vietnam.  I am allowed to keep my license but not practice due to my disability – and I should not practice under my current psychological disability.

As a result of my tour of Vietnam I am disabled by one of the Agent Orange exposure diseases as well as, of course, posttraumatic stress disorder from a serious traumatic event where I was forced by circumstances to take a rifle shot that met the Rules of Engagement but killed a teenage girl.

In any event, I have taught a drug crimes legal update for many years at the OCDETF Conference.  Apparently the students (federal and state prosecutors; federal, state and local drug agents) usually numbering 400 or so really appreciated my efforts.  Actually, they LOVED my humor.

Last fall attorneys from the Eastern District of North Carolina, two of my very special friends, Robert J. (“Bobby”) Higdon, Jr., Chief of the Criminal Division and J. Frank Bradsher, Deputy Criminal Chief for Narcotics, presented me with the above plaque.  I am proud to say I received two standing ovations (although I think the audience had been sitting for a very long time).  I wish to thank all involved in the decision to present me with this honor, especially my good pal, Don Connelly, (Lt. Col., US Army, retired) the Law Enforcement Coordinator for the US Attorney’s Office who drafted the words for the plaque.

Naturally, the sentence of which I am most proud is the following:
“You are the reason this training has become the finest drug enforcement conference in the state.”

That is indeed high praise when you consider the quality of the speakers at each conference.

What can I say?  Thirty-five years of working with law enforcement as an attorney has been the greatest privilege of my life.  This plaque made me proud, as did the ones from the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office and the Garner Police Department.  In Garner I received a plaque AND a Certificate of Merit, the highest award the Garner PD can award a civilian.

To all law enforcement personnel – thank you and God bless you all.

With sincere appreciation for your appreciation,
Ralph

PS I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment